Sunday, October 26, 2008

Two girls in China -- more Water news!


Anyone who knows me at all, knows that Talita needs a bath once in a while no matter what. Bathing soothes my soul and my body, washes away all the excess, leaving Talita essence into which I need to dip to recover my strength. So it was, the first morning after we arrived. Only problem, we still have moldy water which we discovered was a nice sunshiny yellow on top of it. Drawing upon my background knowledge I acquired in Kindergarten, I reasoned that adding some bath foam of a certain color to my water would react with the yellow , creating a nice saturated green color. It worked, the bath was beautiful, in fact I delighted in the contrast of white tub, dark granite and green water with some happy foam clouds bobbing on the surface. Now I only needed to forget the smell. Easily done, I do have imagination. I told Tashina that the people here probably don’t even realize it anymore and smelling it after perhaps not having had the chance to do so for a while conjures up happy childhood memories, similar to the feelings the fragrance a Thanksgiving turkey invokes in us. Well perhaps, we are stretching things here a bit but we decided to take this approach anyway. Moldy smell is now a positive! It could be, right?
While I am luxuriating in my bath, it comes time to wash my hair. The shampoo does its trick, washes away the airport grime out of my brown locks but unfortunately also bleaches the beautiful green color out of the tub, leaving me with…, well never mind. At that moment Tashina steps in and the following dialogue ensues:
Mom, your water is very yellow.
Yes, I am trying to forget that.
Mom, your water looks like pee.
I am trying to forget that too, thanks for letting me.
You are welcome.
Ah, the joys of overseas travel…

No comments: