Monday, October 27, 2008

Two Girls in China -- Moldy Water Part IV

I sooooooooooooo hoped there would not be a part IV, but alas there is!

Last night Tash and I went out to eat. Western restaurant.

Yummy food, well mostly.

First course, fruit salad. The fruit here is so fresh and ripe and wonderful, I have never loved fruit as much.

Then, an asparagus cream soup with the awesome Chinese rolls that we have come to love. Yummy too!

Main course, interesting potato slices with broccoli and asparagus and fillet of sole in a yogurt, wine sauce (alcohol all cooked out). It looked so good. The potatoes and the veggies and the sauce WERE so good but there was also the sole. We should have thought about it; fish that swims in moldy water probably tastes like moldy water. The first bite, mold pure, I don't think I have ever spit out anything as fast as I did this fish. Tashina looked at me and asked how it was. I told her to just try it. Let's just say we both had the same reaction.

In China you don't send stuff back like here, when something is not ok. We ate our veggies and potatoes and the waitress was completely stumped when she picked up our dishes with the entire serving of fish on it.

Then we ordered western style fried rice. That was not great but eatable, we asked them to leave out the shrimp ;)

Dessert: Chocolate crepes. There too was something wrong but that is because they were fried in oil instead of butter.

Over all pretty good meal but we learned our lesson: No fish in Guangzhou.

P.S. Anyone remember my Bombay Duck experience from last time? Well they apparently cook all the fish half done, because the sole was prepared the same way as the Bombay Duck (which is a fish not a duck). Tastes are different I guess!

No comments: